Friday, July 17, 2009

If you are selling stuff on Craigs List you probably hate me. . .

So last night I was browsing some awful looking couches on craigslist.com and happened to come across two that were pretty nice and of course had a pretty nice price tag. One was a grayish more classic looking couch, 2 years old and $550. The other was a Pottery Barn leather sofa that had a pull out bed for $1500. There were also two nice looking chairs that went nicely with the couch for an additional $100. Both people mentioned they were moving in the add. . .moving. . .that meant they had to get rid of them one way or another. . .it I wrote them each an email. There is no way I'm going to spend that kind of money on a used sofa off Craig's list. . .I have never even paid for a sofa in my life. . .I would have a very hard time even in a store to pay for a sofa. . .anyways, I wrote them each and email and basically said I didn't have much money to put towards their furniture but I liked it a lot. I let them know that if they got in a bind and needed somewhere for their furniture to got I could take care of it for them. I would provide a good home for the furniture and would move/transport it myself and I would be able to pay them a fraction of what they wanted. . .but the furniture would be gone. . .to a good home and I would love it very much. Ahhhh. . . can you believe I did that. . .who was I kidding. I was basically asking a stranger to give my their super nice stuff. The Pottery Barn lady wrote and said thanks so much and she would let me know. The other guy wrote back saying he could negotiate a little on the price. . .a little doesn't work for me. I need a lot. So if you are posting a craigslist. . .I'm sorry. . .I just thought I might be worth a try.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

hahhaa, stephanie i think that is great! well done for trying to negotiate... i think it's clear where you grew up. no price is fixed, especially not in these trying economic times. well done, i hope you manage to get something and start a trend of bartering online.